Experts locate bodies of four missing Italian divers inside Maldives cave | Maldives

Rescuers have located the bodies of four Italian divers deep inside an underwater cave in an atoll in the Maldives, four days after they were reported missing.

Searches had resumed after being suspended following the death of a local military diver during a perilous mission to try to reach them.

The government of the Indian Ocean island nation confirmed on Monday the bodies were spotted in the innermost part of the cave by three Finnish diving experts, supported by the Maldives police and the military.

Read More:  Amid tensions, Ukraine’s Chernobyl site remains part of a war zone | Nuclear Energy

“As was previously thought, the four bodies were found inside the cave, not only inside the cave but well inside the cave into the third segment of the cave, which is the largest part,” said Ahmed Shaam, a Maldives government spokesperson.

He said the four were found “pretty much together”.

“The plan is they will try and recover two bodies tomorrow and possibly the other two the following day,” Shaam said in a voice clip sent to the media.

Read More:  The nice guy who finished first: why all of golf was glad to see Aaron Rai lift US PGA Championship | Golf

The body of a fifth Italian, a diving instructor, was found earlier outside the cave. The five were exploring a cave at a depth of about 50 metres (160ft) in Vaavu Atoll on Thursday, according to Italy’s foreign ministry. The recreational diving limit in the Maldives is 30 metres.

Three Finnish divers, experts in deep and cave diving arrived in the Maldives on Sunday.

The Maldives presidential spokesperson, Mohamed Hussain Shareef, said earlier that the search was suspended after Mohamed Mahudhee, a member of the Maldives National Defence Force, died of underwater decompression sickness after being transferred to a hospital in the capital on Saturday.

Read More:  May Day rallies sweep US, demanding reforms for working-class rights | Explainer News

Rough weather has repeatedly hampered rescue efforts.

Initial teams had already dived to identify and mark the entrance to the cave system where the Italians disappeared. The cause of the deaths remains under investigation.

Facebook Comments Box